Thursday, December 5, 2019

I think I should return...

to these old haunts...

begin again to write

pretty words...

For a writer, I've been remarkably unproductive these past couple of years.

I have written one (flawed) screenplay, and a whole lot of half-finished nonsense :(

I have published only two things in all of 2019:

https://lalitmag.com/four-distances-found-on-a-page-in-a-book-on-a-bookshelf-in-a-hotel/

and

https://www.recordnepal.com/art-letter/a-bowstring-snaps/

Okay, also an account of my days living hungry on the streets of LA, in La.Lit... but that's all the material I have produced in 2019. Published stuff amounts to about 8k words only.

2 comments:

  1. Prawin dai,

    You inspired me to write man! I'm really terrible at it, awful awful really, but that's what I enjoy doing and gun to my head I'd probably end up producing crap that people would pay me money for. Most of my writing though is crap, and not meant to be read even. And i still write all.the.time. The point is you inspired me, and you're a real writer, you're obviously doing so well, the self-doubt is only hindering your journey to where you need to be?!

    You're older and much wiser than I am, you're the professional writer I'm a...uh...role-player pretending to write. But! I'm told putting pressure on yourself, setting professional expectations ("I'm a writer and what I write must be good because this is all I've ever cared about") is perhaps counterproductive no?

    Writing freely in a blog is great because there's fewer writerly expectations but also there's at least some expectation of being read (versus writing in a word file) and there's so much opportunity to experiment and edit and explore what you want to do? Also, blogs are kinda going through a comeback phase -- those goddamn twitter threads have gotten too long, everyone's realizing crawling out of the marshes of blogger walking into twitterland was a big mistake.

    It's a good time to start again IMHO. Like just go wild with it honestly shed the burdensome blanket of professional writerly expectations and see where that takes you?

    And then there's always the moneymaking backup of proposal writer!? :P

    -Shirish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, you should consider removing the 'blog list' on the side of your page (and maybe the followers list also?), yikes so outdated makes me depressed at the passage of time. It's like a museum of the golden era of blogging

      Delete

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.