Friday, March 23, 2007

I have been trying to get started on this blog for a few days now. I don't have any access to the web other than Mountain View Public Library, so it is difficult to update as often as I would prefer.

Here's a list of movies I have seen over the past few days:

I Vittelioni
Spring Flowers
The Taste of Cherries
Le Samurai
Samurai Rebellion
Zatoichi 4: The Fugitive
Incidents at Blood Pass
1941
The Cuckoo
That Obscure Object of Desire

Each was a good movie to watch. Perhaps only the four Samurai movies were sensational. 1941 was mindless, but at times poignant. Of the remaining, perhaps The Cuckoo would be the last pick. Surprisingly, I would then place I Vittelioni and That Obscure Object of Desire on the same rung. Then The Taste of Cherries, and rightly, most venerable in this pantheon, Ozu's Spring Flowers.

It seems counterintuitive, even unproductive, to start a blog about appreciating movies with a posting that puts different works in a hierarchy. My intentions is not to write about movies and declare on better than the other. But, reality is that there are limited number of minutes in a day, adn if you have to watch one or the other, you'd rather choose the one that will best reward the temporal investment in it.

I intend to write about each of the movies listed above: although, at the moment, I can see myself easily forgoing any commentary on Speilberg's 1941. It is possible to write a 300 word essay on that movie, but not necessary. It is hilarious, and what a mad mad world, and can you spot the references, and that'd about it. Watch it if making her laugh also makes her fall into your arms. But, any of the other movies above listed can be enjoyed--I would even say each is better enjoyed--in solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.