Saturday, March 31, 2007

Friday, March 30

Movies since last post:

Viridiana
The Wind Will Carry Us
The Producers
The Silence
Samurai II
Tokyo Monogatari
The Fall Guy

The Fall Guy is a hillarious movie about the movies--a behind-the-scenes of Samurai movie production. It is, like all good comedy, full of the threat to turn into a grave drama. The Producers [Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder] doesn't need an introduction. Samurai II, as is obvious, is the sequal to Samurai I, with Mifune playing the lead. It is second in an epic trilogy.

The Wind Will Carry Us is by Abbas Kiarostami, and The Silence is by Mohsen Makhmalbaf, two of Iran's most distinctive filmmakers, indeed, two of the most distinctive filmmakers alive. It is possible to say after watching any Makhmalbaf movie that I had never seen anything like this before. Each movie deserves a posting of its own.

As does Ozu's Tokyo Story.

As does Bunuel's Viridiana.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now. Also, I will not be able to watch another movie of this sort--venerated, collected--for a while now, because I am not sure how I will have access to anything cinema at all. I am still looking for employment, a search that is taking me northwards across the bay. All depends upon when I will be able to secure either a netflix account, or a membership at a public library.

In the mean time, I hope this blog serves as a list of movies to watch, for reviews it hasn't hosted any yet, and therefore has no claim to any merit on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.