Friday, March 8, 2024

Ten years ago today...

 ...was 8 March, 2014. 

Bikram paid for flex hangings, and a poster that was way too long and about 8 feet tall, with my head on it. Mohan and others from Newa de Cafe catered. A dog walked onto the amphitheater at Nepal Academy and Pranab declared it the chief guest of the event.

The Vanishing Act was launched. Rabi dai and Ujju spoke.

Since then, I have frequently been asked when my 'second' book will come. I don't know the answer to that. Technically, TVA was my third. Technically. 


 Since I made this collage sometime in 2020, I think, I have added two more covers:


Cover painted by Amshad sir, designed by Dishebh sir.

Another, designed by BookHill:


But I have finished translating two books already which have not yet been sent to print:

Maggie's book is being proofread, will to to print immediately after. Narayan dai's - not sure what or when Nepalaya will do or not do. 

 But that is not all, folks! I am going to be translating Khagendra Sangroula dai's short stories, shortly after I finish translating this book, which I have been working on:


But, that's not all, folks! I have also finished in-putting Ms. Iva Maharjan ji's proofs for Budhani, a Tharu folktale which I have 'refabulated', and which Indu Tharu ji has translated into her Tharu language. We're waiting on Dishebh sir to finish the cover for it.

In between, I also helped photo.circle translate a few of their books and exhibitions. I'm particularly fond of the translations of Amar Kanwar that I did. And there are these books:



I also wrote a screenplay. Here's the English version, and here's the Nepali. Sushrut Acharya is the cowriter, and Rachel Julia Moles helped with doctoring it. 

But that's not all, folks! I also translated a few short children's books for Anbika Giri, but I don't think they have been published yet:




I have been published in the Nepal issue of Pix - just a silly thing I scratched while drunk; in a magazine out of NYC whose name I have forgotten, in the Head of Zeus anthology House of Snow; in Kevin Bubriski badda's book; on Roads and Kingdoms, Mumbai Mirror and Al Jazeera. I translated Frederick Lecloux's book, I think it is called 'Everyday Epiphanies.' I know of at least two professors who have taught my short stories in their classes, and a few TAs as well. 

Et cetera. Yes, it is true that I haven't been able to finish my first long novel - I started in mid-September and worked until mid-November, tried in mid-February to finish it, and am moaning about it in mid-March. But, whatever, man! Scroll up. This is evidence that I haven't been sitting on my hands doing nothing.

Oh yes, I also edited the translations of four books, wrote a screenplay, helped out with quite a few student movies, etc. It doesn't feel like I have done much over the past decade, but I seem to have done not too badly. 

So, yeah, not too bad, Mr. Adhikari, not too bad at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.