Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Ugly but interesting

Dog! Not ugly, definitely not interested in me.
The light had gone by the time I stepped out, so I searched for high-contrast subjects. Naturally, they were up against the sky. Although the Tika School area is green, trees aren't proximal enough to casually photograph. So - electricity poles. These are the rusty iron kind, old ones, very likely older than me.  


Here, I had to shoot into the western sky instead the east, and that provided the proper contrast needed.


This pole is the more typical example of the Kathmandu mess. It sits at the junction of five different roads, and therefore bears the total legacy of all the cable TV and internet services that must have operated here since the mid-90s. A paleontology of this pole would probably reveal the parallel stories of locals getting richer (by selling land to much richer newcomers) and the TV/Internet economy booming, first as an illegal, unregulated network, and later as a syndicate between a handful of large companies. 
The one below is another pole at a crossroads into a cul-de-sac. As I was taking this photo, a kid of about six years jumped into a shop, called to his mom to wait for him, and uttered this wonderful phrase - 'Mommy, kehi kindinus!' Mom, buy me something. 

He seemed delirious to be at the shop, worried that his mother had already walked away, and unable to decide exactly what he wanted, chose instead to shout - buy me something! 

I enjoyed that moment very much. The stuff was of no significance, all that mattered was the fact of purchasing. That is also participating, calling oneself into presence. 

This is peekaboo through the camphor tree above the temple on the eponymous Deval Marg.
Color. 



 

1 comment:

  1. These are gorgeous! Never thought something as industrial as electricity poles and lines could hold beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.