Monday, June 22, 2009

smooth and tender and sway

I am struggling with love stories. Not that I have never written one: Face of Carolyn Flint is one, I think. There were a few more that I wrote for Suskera.com But I have never been satisfied with my products.

Here, in The New Yorker, is a beautiful, unexpected love story by a certain Stephen O'Connor: Ziggurat

It is beautiful. Here's a favorite moment:

"The Minotaur was a novice of arc and swell and dip, a new-minted connoisseur of smooth and tender and sway. That little snippet of bird-peep that entered the new girl’s voice whenever she got excited, or when she thought something she had done was stupid—he wanted to put that in a box, tie it up with a leather thong, and keep it around his neck."

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish it had come out of my writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.