Sunday, May 10, 2009

Typo

In today's TKP, I misspelled priorities as "prioroties." What happened was that I had typed up the whole essay on Notepad instead of Word, or more accurately, Open Office Writer, in order to save battery life. A word processing program is a bigger, clunkier, hence it would consume more wattage, was my line of logic. [I don't have the Microsoft Office Suite in my computer]. I tried to catch and fix errors in Writer just before I mailed the article, but some typos escaped me, because I seemed to have italicized prioroties along with all non-English words in the article. Coincidentally, or contextually, however, it made for a bad pun in the article.

There must be an average of three, four typos in each article I publish. That is a source of embarrassment for me when I get the paper. Because, unfortunately I should say, a small group of unusually critical friends read my articles. They go so far as to say, "Prawin, I am not impressed with you, but I must say your articles are really impressive." Such compli-dissers they are. Yet, I haven't found complete control over typos. They are so easy to miss. Sometimes a complete word seems to have vanished. This is typical to a situation where a sentence has been revised multiple times. Sometimes there are extra words. Outright spelling errors are rare, but the erroneous substitutions made possible only by a spell-checker are more common. For instance, "for the" often ends up as "fort he," and in today's issue, I didn't catch an "of" where it should have correctly read "or." Over-reliance on the squiggly red lines will eventually punish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah. Do that. I'm lurking, waiting for your comments. Yeah. Do it just like that. You know I like it. You know you want to. Yeah.